Wednesday, September 26, 2007

My Three Songs - from the halfpod

When I got my ipod a few years ago I thought it wouldn't take much time to fill it to the maximum 7,500 songs. I'm pretty compulsive. Well, I've only just hit 3,750, 2-1/2 years later. I almost always set my entire music collection on shuffle and let the ipod do its thing, and I still marvel at what seems to be artificial intelligence. I've got about 400 Dylan songs on my ipod, yet on shuffle I'll hear Bob growling High Water after a Howlin' Wolf tune, followed by the Black Keys. A perfect trio. How does it do it? Allow me to share a few tunes from this week:

When I plugged the 3,750 song ipod in Monday morning for the shuffle, the first track to pop up was Hell is Chrome, probably my favorite Wilco song. It's a hypnotic dirge that reminds me of the Band, complete with the beautiful harmonies of the kind that Richard Manuel and Robbie Robertson used to hit. And I love the screaming guitar break in the middle.


Wilco - Hell Is Chrome




The album that pushed me over the halfway point this week was Boxer, by the National. Lots of buzz over this album, and rightly so. The music evokes Bryan Ferry, The The and Joy Division, brooding, reflective, and engrossing with each repeated listen. The track that immediately caught my ear is Apartment Story, one of the more up tempo tracks on the disc. There's something about the vocals and lyrics that is just magnetic. This one will most definitely make my best-of 2007 list.


The National - Apartment Story

Third, a Forgotten Record from the 80's. I've started digitizing my old vinyl, and I pulled out a 12-inch single by the Hoodoo Gurus, a song called Bittersweet from their album Mars Needs Guitars. It's a perfect pop-rock gem, and I remember going nuts over this song for a few weeks in 1985 (or 86?). The Gurus were overshadowed by their Aussie brethren INXS and Midnight Oil, but this is a great song that you will hum the rest of the day. These guys are still at it, and currently on tour.


Hoodoo Gurus - Bittersweet

Ok, time to start on songs 3,751 to 7,500.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where can I e-mail you about good new music?

1:26 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Very excellent especially the National and Wilco. I always get at least one Wilco tune when my iPod is on shuffle.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hi Mark-miss your posts, hope everything is okay.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Hey Chris, everything is fine, I'm just really busy these days. Your blog is still one of the best around, when I get a chance to check it out.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 


View My Stats