Monday, September 10, 2007

New Music Monday - Blitzen Trapper

I was hoping to write about Blitzen Trapper before I saw any coverage in the mainstream media, but alas, they were in the latest issue of Rolling Stone. This Portland, Oregon based band is about as unclassifiable as they come, and that’s what I find appealing. Many new bands have a signature sound that courses through their records, sometimes to the point of repetition. Or their musical influences are too blatant, and the music sounds unoriginal. Their newest CD, Wild Mountain Nation, is incredibly imaginative, while also drawing on a vast array of influences. I hear the Dead, the Band, progressive, garage, psychedelic, pop, country, just to name a few. There’s classic rock and contemporary rock influences holding everything together. It’s really inventive stuff, and despite the chaos, its coherent, enjoyable music. In fact, it’s one of my favorite records so far this year. Maybe one of my favorite band names in recent years, too. The other thing I like about these guys is the grass roots marketing and self promotion. They’re local guys on the verge of big things.

Listen to Sci-Fi Kid


Go here for a cover version of Heart's Crazy On You

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous duko said...

This can't succeed in reality, that is what I think.

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 


View My Stats