Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Dinosaurs in the News

If there’s a bustle in your hedgerow….Recently NME reported that Led Zeppelin are in talks to reunite for a one-night only performance in honor of the recently departed Ahmet Ertegun, founder of Atlantic Records. Behind the drum kit for this performance will be John Bonham’s son Jason. This is the reunion that all Zeppelin fans have dreamed about for years. Rumors then started to fly about a 2008 tour if things go well. Plant has subsequently denied the rumors, but I'm not convinced that this is the end of it. This year’s reunion tours by the Police and Genesis will pale in comparison to the hype and anticipation that a Page-Plant-Jones reunion would generate. I'm sure these guys are well aware of the massive income potential of a reunion tour, and I think it's coming. There’s only one reunion that could possibly top it, and that of course is Pink Floyd. Stay tuned.

Ever since I was a young boy…. During the height of my Who mania last fall, I had a dream that video footage of the Who’s legendary performance at Leeds University in 1970 was miraculously unearthed. A few years ago I also held out hope that the DVD reissue of the Kids Are Alright would include loads of ‘newly discovered footage.’ I just can’t get enough of this stuff, and I am comforted by the idea that rock music archeology is an infinite pursuit. Well good news: Coming soon to a theatre near you… a new documentary by Murray Lerner called Amazing Journey: The Story of the Who. Lerner spent two years searching bootleg networks, soliciting fans and plundering archives around the world, finding all sorts of unseen footage, including very early film from 1964 and yes, footage from Leeds, found by a guy who was a Leeds student at the time. The film will hit theaters this fall. As someone who has seen the Kids are Alright probably 50 times, I’m a little geeked up over this news. My only question at this point is why I didn’t think of this.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this should be a rock club event. Guess who?

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 


View My Stats