Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Just learned that Syd Barrett has died at age 60. It's bittersweet that Syd's passing would occur at a time when the remaining members of Pink Floyd would find themselves in the news, with solo tours, quasi-reunions and the acclaimed DVD release of the Pulse tour. As you know, I'm holding my breath for a full blown Floyd reunion, and in my mind's eye I always imagined them to involve Syd in some way. Now it can only be in memoriam, and it's tragic. Actually, Syds' entire life was tragic. I can't think of another artist who had such a profound impact on music in the blink of an eye. Pink Floyd was Syd's band until the drugs took their devastating toll. I really can't endorse Syd's solo work to the uninitiated, but everyone should own The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, Floyd's astonishing debut album that is almost entirely the work of Barrett.

More On Syd

Shine On, Syd.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... »

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 


View My Stats