Friday, April 07, 2006

Smells Like Greed

I suppose it's inevitable, but I'm still dismayed when I see the shameless marketing of rock music (and dead musicians). I've seen the Hendrix action figure at Toys R Us, and of course I've seen the full catalog of merchandise the Dead camp offers. But an action figure of Kurt Cobain? Yes, folks, in case you haven't heard, it will be available soon. It's Kurt, rendered to look like he stepped out of the 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' video, complete with striped shirt and gym floor.


Do kids really want to put this on their bookshelves along with the McFarlane statues of Albert Pujols and Barry Bonds? It's very odd to me. Check out the hilarious press release, claiming that "the one thing that many fans have been asking for and have never received in ANY form, official or not, is an action figure." Huh?? I guess once you've got all of Nirvana's unreleased music and an exact published replica of Kurt personal journals, ya gotta complete the picture with the action figure. Now I wonder if a tattered, whorish Courtney Love doll is not far behind.

"...everything from toy guns that spark, to flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark
It's easy to see without looking too far that not much is really sacred." -Dylan

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Sadly, you're right Mark, it's all about the money; I think it began back when Elvis died, that's the first I can remeber it getting really out of hand.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 


View My Stats