Sunday, April 06, 2008

Like sands through the hourglass....

Time to get back on track here, as I've had another extended lapse. Work/life burdens and a trip to Costa Rica have absorbed my blog time. I think the key is shorter, more frequent posts, so here we go...

Lately I've been really digging the new record by Stephen Malkmus and The Jicks, Real Emotional Trash. I missed the heyday of Pavement, in fact I missed a lot of the indie rock scene in the 90's for a variety of reasons. Fast forward to I think his fourth solo record and I'm getting drawn in. Although this doesn't really sound anything like the Pavement songs I have heard, it's hard to ignore. Malkmus caught my ear recently with his Dylan covers on the I'm Not There soundtrack. Malkmus is not for everyone, and this is not the most accessible music you'll run across, but if you like great guitar work, quirky songwriting and absolutely surreal lyrics, this is for you. The music reminds me of Cracker and at times, Lou Reed. It's uniquely American. I like Malkmus because he's in his 40's, a father, and he's just trying to break some new ground.



Speaking of unique, I'm also digging the debut album by Yeasayer, All Hour Cymbals. This music is hard to describe. It's indie rock with a tribal undertone,containing Eastern, African and even Native American influences. No debut album should be this adventurous and this good. These guys are a quartet from Brooklyn, which makes it all even more surprising. The only down side to Yeasayer is their name, which reminds me of 70's pop artist Leo Sayer (if you remember 70's you know why this is bad).


2080 - Yeasayer

Labels: ,

 


View My Stats