Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Is it 2008 yet?

Egads I'm behind. No posts for over a month. I meant to publish a review of my favorite songs of 2007 weeks ago. At this point it seems like old news. However, I need to do it just so I can turn the page. So here they are, briefly, in no particular order:

Impossible Germany - Wilco. Really any song from Sky Blue Sky. Here's a nice live performance from their appearance on Austin City Limits:





Alaska - Dr. Dog. The 70's live again. Their records are low-tech affairs, but I saw them perform live last fall and they've got the chops.

Country Caravan - Blitzen Trapper. More 70's gold from this Portland, OR band. A real schizo album (Wild Mountain Nation). Loads of fun.

Icky Thump - The White Stripes. Jack does it again. A Led Zep/rap masterpiece. It's too bad Meg's breakdown sidelined their tour last year.

Silver and Gold - U2. Yes I know it came out in 1987, but a studio version was released on the Joshua Tree box set reissue. I love this song. More on this one later.

Sea Legs - The Shins. An engaging song from a really good album.

Please Read The Letter - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. A fantastic album. I'm looking forward to their tour.

Imitosis - Andrew Bird. It took me a while to warm up to the album, Armchair Apocrypha. All of a sudden it clicked. This guy is hugely talented. He reminds me of Beck in some ways.

Apartment Story - The National. Sometimes one song leaps out at you from a album. This one certainly did.

Crumble - Dinosaur Jr. A welcome reunion. I don't care if it sounds like their work in the 90's. I love that guitar sound.

You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb - Spoon. I find Spoon a little tedious over the course of a album, but in small doses they are brilliant.

I'm Not There - Sonic Youth
The Wicked Messenger - The Black Keys. It's hard to pick a favorite from the I'm Not There soundtrack, so here's one from each disc.

The Wicked Mesenger - The Black Keys

There. On to bigger and better things.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 


View My Stats