Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The 45 is 58

A little known historical fact for today - The 45 rpm vinyl record was introduced by RCA Victor on this day in 1949. I'm surrounded by many people each day that are too young to remember vinyl LPs, let along the good old days when we had to insert the little yellow plastic insert to hear our hit singles, and then actually get up and flip the disc at the turntable every 2-1/2 minutes. Now I can strap a small device to my arm and have 7,500 songs at my fingertips while I hit the cardio machine. I still remember the first few 45s I bought (at K-Mart on Western Avenue in Chicago Heights), and I still have them.

6. Superstition - Stevie Wonder
5. Cisco Kid - War
4. Your Mama Don't Dance - Loggins & Messina
3. Crocodile Rock - Elton John
2. Right Place, Wrong Time - Dr. John
1. Rockin' Pneumonia (and the Boogie Woogie Flu) - Johnny Rivers

Well, I haven't digitized my vinyl yet, so in lieu of the audio, enjoy this video blast from the past.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 


View My Stats